Latest Action by Jones Beach

***YOU MUST NOW  CREATE A USERNAME TO LOG IN TO VIEW REPORTS***

FISHJONESBEACH --  A PLACE FOR ALL TO EXPERIENCE, LEARN AND SHARE -- FISH YOUR WAY!

× Welcome to the Fish Jones Beach forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Topic-icon A RUFF BLOG 2022

• JerryRuff
  • JerryRuff's Avatar Topic Author
More
07 Apr 2022 14:07 #5501 by JerryRuff

Fly Fishing for BIG CARP an Outdoor Adventure with Carp Talk. It has been a few years since I went fly fishing for carp. On a last minute whim I grabbed the 6 weight and threw some #12 black grizzly woolly buggers in my box. Not trout. The hope was some spring carps swimming up on shallows after the rain. Almost optimal conditions for carp. Minus the sun. There were a few big carp in the hole. Not many, but enough to keep it busy. Had a few follows, missed a strike, a few more follows. Finally. CARP ON! The big old carp took a serious lunge as I grabbed my leader and he went on his way in the muck. It was a thrill. The carp seemed to scatter soon after. I completed the evening catching trouts while I reflected on day.

Fish!!! - Best advice I ever got.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JerryRuff
More
14 Apr 2022 12:04 #5503 by JerryRuff

NYC Dry Fly Fishing - BIG CITY CARP - Flushing Meadows Park Queens, New York. Nature. On the side of the Van Wyck Expressway within the fringes of Flushing Meadows Park the ear picks up all the honks, sirens, squeals and thumps. The eye sees flashing lights, green water, discarded bottles and graffiti. The nose picks up a slurry of VOC's in the air. Not my senses. I see swimming fish, hear chirping birds and smell the greenery of the trees, grass and reeds. Life.

Fly fishing in the middle of New York city for the majestic carp. I caught many in this great lake as a young man. However, this day I wanted and willed to see if I could fool a carp using a dry fly. If your a well versed angler you can understand this... Something about fooling a carp. Patience was the main ingredient. Holding tight helped. The dry fly did the work. We talk about this more in the video. In the middle of all the big city nature picks a corner, slows it down, and wins.

• JerryRuff
More
16 Apr 2022 13:36 #5504 by JerryRuff

Striped Bass Surf Fishing - OPENING DAY - Keeper Striper & Noon Topwater Action
. Wind. Oh man it was windy. I think the weather man said 17 mph out there today. He forgot the x3 or I missed that. You will hear lots of wind in the video. The fishing was on. Had to work the water. Always a joy catching a keeper striped bass on opening day in the high noon sun is always a joy. Worked the topwater for all the stripers. Small, medium, and large. Caught and dropped. Mixed sizes are a great sign on a bite. Opening day striper. Now that is just spring.

*** The below links are paid Amazon Affiliate Links ***
SUPER STRIKE LITTLE NECK POPPER - amzn.to/3JOHWmu
*** I get a small commission if you purchase anything from the affiliate link above ***

• JerryRuff
More
23 Apr 2022 11:49 #5505 by JerryRuff

Bait fishing for STRIPED BASS in Stained Water - KEEPER on CLAM BAITS. I have found when fishing for striped bass in stained water bait is often the best option to go. My mind perceives scattered pods of roaming striper. Probabilities of these pods of fish that will see or sense a lure drops exponentially. Paths of lure and fish must cross, either by eye or lateral line. Clam bait in stained water in a shallow pathway allows time for pods of striped bass to either smell out or pass your bait for a successful pickup. I believe bait made this day. Any and all case I felt like bait fishing today and done did what I do did any and all case or conditions.

GAMAKATSU INLINE CIRCLE HOOKS USED TODAY - amzn.to/3Ka7AST
*** I get a small commission if you purchase anything from the affiliate link above ***

• JerryRuff
More
26 Apr 2022 11:57 #5506 by JerryRuff

New York City Fishing - KISSENA LAKE PARK in Flushing Queens - Bass Crappie & Bluegill on the Fly. I can vaguely remember walking around Kissena Park Lake when I was less then four. It was the early 70's for sure. Someone had a mop bucket filled of big bluegills. The fish in this bucket just caught my attention. I COULD NOT explain but I wanted one. That unexplained passion with 18,989 suns, minus the leap years, and 609 full moons later... I finally CAN understand what I could not explain. In Flushing Queens New York City NY sits beautiful Kissena Lake. I never fished Kissena Park Lake before this winter. You will be simply taken away once you settle in.

I recently bought a copy of William Henry's book listed in the link below and mention in video. I found William's blog listed below one cold winter night and been following William before he found my channel. If you fish or plan to fish ANYWHERE in NYC it is a must read. Bill book goes into deep detail about the history of these waters including Kissena lake and the fishing to be had in them. Bill's blog is pack filled with information and thought. William shares a living wealth of knowledge in all his book, blog and person.

WILLIAM HENRY'S FLY FISHING BLOG - thegreatlakesofnyc.blogspot.com/

THE GREAT LAKES OF NYC by BILL HENRY - amzn.to/3MviIeB

• JerryRuff
More
28 Apr 2022 12:34 #5507 by JerryRuff

Keeper Striped Bass - INCREDIBLE SABIKI FISHING - Biggest Shad I Have Seen!!! Fishing is a game of cards. Essentially your dealt a hand. My hand today was bait and the Penn Squidder. Fished a little and was not feeling it. I took a nice long walk and thought about my hand. An hour later back to the car. I open the trunk. Turn in the bait card and take my new card. The sabiki rig. Worked the sabiki with a 4oz sinker. I struggled at first to pick those first few shad. I finally found my rhythm and it was double header shad all the way. I caught a keeper bass in the mix. For sure one of the biggest striper I had on sabiki rigs. I also picked out one of the biggest hickory shad I have seen. A size 1 or 2 sabiki may have done us do good better but the 6 done do good fine today. I think I am gonna start packing sabikis in every bag.

SABIKI RIG USED TODAY - amzn.to/3Ki0iwo

• JerryRuff
More
04 May 2022 13:22 #5508 by JerryRuff

LOOKING for BIG STRIPER - Big Hooks - BIG STRIPED BASS - Big Bait - BIG NIGHT
. Had some schoolie striped bass the day prior. Had some good wind that some bigger striper were under and scavenging. Bait, the way at scavengers. Just no other way. Decided to go big bait, big hooks, big leader, big braid and big tackle for big striped bass. Not losing any. I know that. Timed up the tide just right. Dusk my mark. Fish on. Nice keeper. Another followup with a bigger fish. Fish just after dark. Pick another fish. Deep hooked. That's OK. Kept him. Keeper bass. Have not had striper in a while. Tasty. My regs. The end of the video I talk about what I think regulations should be.

GAMAKATSU 8/0 CIRCLE HOOKS - amzn.to/3KH3XUG

• JerryRuff
More
07 May 2022 13:22 #5509 by JerryRuff

Chasing the Tide - BIG BAIT STRIPED BASS - Fishing the Night Tides for Striper. Had a nice bite on the bait with some big striped bass so I set out to ride a night tide. Tides change. Bites change. I always expect that. I anticipated fewer fish and predicted a far spread out bite with hopes of larger fish. My prediction and anticipation was pretty darn close to my mark. My hopes ran short but still good with some good striper. In this video I talk a little how I look at the tides. There is much more to the picture and we will touch on points as we go. It was a good night and good night to all.

GAMAKATSU 8/0 CIRCLE HOOKS - amzn.to/3KH3XUG

• JerryRuff
More
12 May 2022 00:43 #5510 by JerryRuff

Spring Freshwater Fishing - 3" BERKLEY POWER GRUBS - Largemouth Bass on the Bank. Year after year in the spring I will work the 3" Berkley Power Grub. I picked white and set up with a 1/8 ounce jighead. Fished a few hours before sunset for a few decent largemouth bass and a wild pickerel from the bank. Missed a few nips most likely perch and dropped another bass. A nice evening on the freshwater. It was a very windy day out and I started on open water. You can see on the end of the video what I found!

BERKLEY POWER GRUB 3" WHITE - amzn.to/3Fx9dtb

• JerryRuff
More
14 May 2022 16:01 #5511 by JerryRuff

Mixed Spring Saltwater Fishing - CASTING CASTING CASTING - Striped Bass, Shad, Sea Robin, Skate. I did spend most the week looking for bluefish. Casting, casting and casting. I saw one come out of the water and heard of a few more. I also saw and missed some small cocktail blues today as well. I can not remember seeing small blues in this early before the big ones. Enough on that. Always do other fishing in between and in the middle. Here be some of the fishing we did as well. Shad are still around. Plenty of striped bass. Skates are coming in, and I caught my first sea robin of the year! Look for spawning horseshoe crabs. The bluefish should not be far behind them.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: JerryRuffTimmah
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds