Latest Action by Jones Beach

***YOU MUST NOW  CREATE A USERNAME TO LOG IN TO VIEW REPORTS***

FISHJONESBEACH --  A PLACE FOR ALL TO EXPERIENCE, LEARN AND SHARE -- FISH YOUR WAY!

× Welcome to the Fish Jones Beach forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Topic-icon A RUFF BLOG 2021

• JerryRuff
  • JerryRuff's Avatar Topic Author
More
17 Aug 2021 01:48 #5409 by JerryRuff

Some sea robins today and a couple of clean bite offs! Bluefish at dark.

Fish!!! - Best advice I ever got.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JerryRuff
More
18 Aug 2021 01:33 #5410 by JerryRuff
Loads of small fluke around. Started with jig and teaser few pecks knew they had to be small fluke. Worked up nothing else. Saw a couple of small blues at the point not much action worth fishing it. Worked back with the Gulp for a good bunch of small fluke and a handful of sea robins. Water looked great.

Attachments:

• JerryRuff
More
18 Aug 2021 01:41 #5411 by JerryRuff

I would say the 2 hardest fish to catch or the vacation fish and the ones you see! Got the fly fish bug the other day and had fun flinging the line. I always thought this should be called line fishing or line casting rather then fly fishing. Unless your fishing the purist sense of the fly. Anyways...

Attachments:

• JerryRuff
More
19 Aug 2021 13:22 #5412 by JerryRuff

SUMMERTIME SALTWATER FLY FISHING TIGHT TO THE WALL. I know the fluke are ranging and could have had a bunch far out but sometimes I like to take the hard rocky roads right on the edge of the wall. There were a few pods of peanut bunker making there rounds and I managed a good swipe by a rogue bass on the slammer fly. I worked tight and low between the incoming pods looking for a summer flounder. Not much sign of close ranging fish. Picked a robin then a fluke and ended the day with another robin. The fluke are there just need to add another 100YDS to the cast. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
21 Aug 2021 00:48 - 21 Aug 2021 12:22 #5413 by JerryRuff

JUMBO WHITE PERCH - FALLEN TREE CATFISH GO WILD - ROGUE LARGEMOUTH BASS - FUN SUMMER FISHING!!! Today was a bit of work as it normally is. Working, working, and working the freshwater until I pulled out a few jumbo white perch. That made the day all in itself. Had a rogue largemouth bass and some smaller white and yellow perch in the mix. Oh, the catfish. I had my eye on a few fallen tree for sometime. Today was the day I decided to fish the fallen hard. The branches were well in the deep. Some 25 to 30 feet of deep. I know catfish love the deep day and night. Lite winds made a easy set up with the Jon boat. I set the worm baits deep on the bottom some 25 to 30 feet. It did not take long to start luring the cat fish out of the safe branches. It was a beautiful mix of brown, black, white and yellow catfish. I must have kept a dozen and let another dozen go. The catfishes into the night.

INTRO: 00:00
RIG USED: 01:30
JUMBO PERCH: 02:40
CATFISH: 06:00
ROUND UP: 10:25

Have a plan A. Go to plan B. Then finish with plan C. Plan C will never fail you. Plan C always works. You just need time to squeeze in plan C. Plan C will always work. ALWAYS. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

Attachments:
Last Edit: 21 Aug 2021 12:22 by JerryRuff.

• JerryRuff
More
24 Aug 2021 12:20 #5414 by JerryRuff

BIG COBIA FISHING in the NEW YORK CITY SURF - NYC POST STORM TROPICAL HURRICANE BLESSINGS. Maybe its a COBIA! I can not count the times I yelled that this time of year. Finally it was a cobia and a beauty of a fish. My FIRST cobia from the surf right here in big New York City as well. Used the bunker bait today and it paid off well. Lots of sea robins, sharks, skates and of course a big old cobia! I picked a 6/0 circle hook today. Not my first choice this time of year which normally is a 12/0 Mustad 39960 circle. I don't know why I decided to go with the 6/0 but I did. I believe if I went with the Mustad I would not have had this opportunity. Just an inner voice we all should listen to.

I was set up with a 4 foot long 100 lb chafing leader with 6 ounces of lead to about 2 feet of 80 lb leader. CAST. Bite was soft but telling. The run was long fast and hard with nice cuts and turns until the turn some 3-4 minutes later. I would say the fight was far more stealthier and cutting then a shark of the same proportion. As I thought he was a bigger shark. Luckily no leaps. Finally had the fish turned and came in fighting all the way. Might be about 4-5 minutes on the tape but the initial belting full run on my fine Squidder drag is missing. The cobia ran in and out giving him him plenty of drag accompanied by one thumb on spool and one thumb on peeling line - adds a softer touch. Finally, COBIA! COBIA! COBIA! So cool!!!

The cobia tends to be a rare fish in these parts. You always hear about cobia from the surf from Western to Eastern Long Island New York in periodicals and first hand lore. But you rarely get the chance to see one. And let alone hook up with a cobia. I was simply blessed today and I wish to pass that on to you. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
26 Aug 2021 14:20 #5415 by JerryRuff

Lots of rays today, lots! About it on the surf no other type of pickup or fish today seemed to be nothing but stingray out there today

Attachments:

• JerryRuff
More
28 Aug 2021 12:44 #5416 by JerryRuff

CALICO CRAB FLY for SUMMER FLOUNDER - SALTWATER FLY FISHING - KEEPER FLUKE on the HALF HALF. Saltwater fly fishing is fun, easy, and relaxing. PICK YOUR ORDER. In the summertime the fluke or summer flounder come close to shore and it is a great time to fish for them in the high hot sun in the shallows. The floating line with moderate to fast sinking flies in some current will work well. I fished a handful of flies working a spat of water until I finally connected with a keeper fluke. My favorite and most reliable fly for fluke in the surf is the half and half fly. Clousers are just as well. I worked some glass flies and epoxy minnows as well. The highlight of the day was picking up a summer flounder on my calico crab imitation. Some medium eyes, white/yellow/orange yarn wrapped egg with some multi colored wool mixed in for a mottling effect, then cut. A grizzly feather wrapped parachute style for legs. And finally some hen feathers for old fashion claws. The crab fly looked great in the water and so far fooled a few fish this year. Had to worked more crab flies in my workout and they certainly work well and fun easy to cast! Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
31 Aug 2021 14:30 #5417 by JerryRuff

LONG ISLAND CITY Pier Fishing - A PERFECT NYC DAY - East River GANTRY PARK Queens NYC NY. I don't think you could have a nicer day IN New York City NY then I had. SERIOUS. Me and Danielle spent the day on the East River Fishing Pier in Long Island City NYC NY. The fishing piers in Long Island City is all big city but when you are out on the water you are immediately away. However and only a kiss short of the big city. It is hard to explain. You have the outdoor feel with the all the views of the big city. Al the people wandering by were great. Friendly, kind and courteous.

We had to pickup Danielle's artwork she had exhibited at a show in LIC and decided to check the Long Island City Fishing Pier. You should check out her website she has a million pieces of work and is an accomplished artist. You have to see to know what I mean - www.daniellecharetteart.com - Just AMAZING artwork. The fishing was OK. I kept the fishing simple. I like that. Perfect for the day. 3 way rigging. Small hooks. Clam baits. Of course lead Weight. A nice variety of fish. Sea bass, oyster toad fish and fluke. I am sure some porgies were around as well. Perfect way to fish and enjoy the day. Pretty sure some big basses are possible (certainly spring and fall) and blitzing bluefish a good possibility - Lord know what else.

If you live in NYC or plan on visiting the big city I really would suggest you check this place out. The views are all big city. You can see almost the entire skyline a stones throw away. At the same time you feel sheltered from the madness every big city sweats. You just have to go visit the park to feel what I see. I would put this on top of my list as a tourist destination if your in town. Feel free to knock on my door just under the third pier while you visit! Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
04 Sep 2021 13:08 #5418 by JerryRuff

Vintage PENN SEA BOY No. 85 Conventional Saltwater Fishing Reel - IN ACTION!!! You can't use that its for boats! I have heard that so many times I lost count. I have been asked sometime to do a video with the Vintage PENN SEA BOY No. 85 Conventional Saltwater Fishing Reel some time now. YEARS. Here it finally is! You can use the Sea Boy No. 85 in freshwater as well. This Sea Boy No. 85 is my own personal reel. Had the old PENN for a long time. Dusted, cleaned it off and been using it and will be using the Sea Boy a bit more.

The Penn Sea Boy has everything your reel has and probably more. Excellent drag. super solid anti reverse. A clutch made to perfection and COPIED for decades. Amazing bushing driven free spool and one of the firmest bait clickers off the market. I set it up with good old 20 pound PINK Ande monofilament fishing line. I do prefer braid but for nostalgic reasons I went with the PINK Ande on the old Sea Boy. The line may be the same age as the reel! Casts like a dream on the 6 foot rod with some great action. Built solid and made to last you really can not go wrong.

I stated my outing with a jig and teaser and had solid action. Went to clam half through just to see what would take and more the same. Fishing is fishing but how you do it is all you. When you think you know it all try something new it will open a whole other world. Or go back to some good old things you haven't done in decades. If you keep it interesting it will be interesting. That is up to you to ponder 3 years from now. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: JerryRuffTimmah
Time to create page: 0.688 seconds