Latest Action by Jones Beach

***YOU MUST NOW  CREATE A USERNAME TO LOG IN TO VIEW REPORTS***

FISHJONESBEACH --  A PLACE FOR ALL TO EXPERIENCE, LEARN AND SHARE -- FISH YOUR WAY!

× Welcome to the Fish Jones Beach forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Topic-icon A RUFF BLOG 2021

• JerryRuff
  • JerryRuff's Avatar Topic Author
More
07 Jul 2021 11:54 #5390 by JerryRuff

Wouldn't leave me alone!

Fish!!! - Best advice I ever got.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JerryRuff
More
08 Jul 2021 13:12 #5391 by JerryRuff

DEEP INNER New York City Fishing - FLUSHING MEADOWS LAKE - Queens Park The WORLDS FAIR NYC NY. I could tell you 101 fishing stories I have had at Flushing Meadow Lake right in Corona Queens New York City, NY. Just a few blocks from the Corona Ice King. BUT, I am only going to tell you number 101 and here it is.

It was a hot day and I took a nice little walk to one of my old honey holes. I saw some catfish on top. I started with a #4 hook and a tiny fully subjective float. Perfect, what would bite my night crawler? It was a turtle! Took me by surprise thought I had a bullhead on the worm. Got the hook out nicely and the hearty guy ran faster then any turtle I ever seen a turtle run. Always put your money on the tortoise. Set out again and soon again a bouncing bobber. MISS. Worm gone. Next cast sure enough a white perch. I missed a few more hits and knowing the perch were on the feed I tied on a #10 scud hook. Strategically double ended the nightcrawler and caught about a half dozen white perch on the UL setup. Before I left I did the old worm glob just to see what would hit. AGAIN! Turtle! Two surprises one day. At least they were not like the big old mean snapping turtle I caught many years back. That was a story!

I must say with the wetland restoration Flushing Meadows Lake at the Worlds Fair has changed for the better. Flushing meadow right in NYC is teaming with life. It always was. Find some weeds with cuts near reeds and if your lucky some shade. And I assure... If your using worms you will catch something interesting. Turtles & white perch in high heat summer skinny water. Where else?

Flushing Meadow Lake and Corona Park seem extra nice now. I do warn you. If you go to the park during the weekend the lake will be teaming with life. Human life and won't be so quiet in the summer. Trust me. May have to go back and see what happen next some day soon. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
10 Jul 2021 10:02 #5392 by JerryRuff

Largemouth Bass in the Weeds - LUNKER BASS AT DUSK - Worm Fishing Top to Bottom. I was fishing over weed beds in the late afternoon picking at some decent fish on the worm. The largemouth bass seemed to be hanging around 15 feet of water on the deeper end of the weed beds. But there are always pockets of weeds that fish better then others. I find the weeds the most interesting structure as they are not stationary but a dynamic structure that actually moves. You can not see the movement of weedbeds with the naked eye but it occurs. Weeds move up. Weeds move down. Weeds are alive. Many kinds of weeds. Weeds grow, retreat, disappear and come back just like baitfish but at a much much slower rate. And there are baitfish in the weeds making the weeds super dynamic. And lets not forget to mention the hard structure that dictate the movements of the weedbeds like an ocean current pushing baitfish.

The fishing was pretty good. Had some quality largemouth bass and the big bass came right at dusk. All on worms. The worm has to be one of the perfect lures to work around big masses of weed beds. You can fish the worm it on top of weeds, in the middle weeds and bounce the bottom hard structure between the weeds all with minimal changes on your setup saving time to fish and get into another lunker bass. Worms and weeds. If that ain't bass fishing I don't know what is. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
15 Jul 2021 13:46 #5394 by JerryRuff

Worms, Weights, Hooks & Dinner - OLD FASHION FISHING - White & Yellow Perch & Catfish. No limits, no ruler and a mess of fish. Now that is old fashion fishing. I started the day with a endless supply of worms. The plan was to troll and drift across the east wind with baits set mid to bottom. I had an idea of what could happen yet no clue what would go on. The first several trolls and drifts were extremely difficult. I had big bass on the mind. Made it harder. Seemed like a perfect day for a summer lunker. But I drifted on and stuck to 15 to 25. One rod set with one shot mid level and #4 hook. The other rod set with a 1/2 ounce slider deeper towards bottom also #4 hook. Before all hope was lost I hooked up withe a beauty of a summer white perch followed by another. And another... The day went on as such with yellow perch with white and yellow catfish into the night. There were points of time I could not bait up fast enough. The rods were bending just like banjo strings the rest of the day. Left with a mess of fish to fillet in the wee hours. Now I know why I really enjoy the old catch and release thing to. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
17 Jul 2021 13:52 #5395 by JerryRuff

Berkley GULP Swimming Mullet - BAIT FISHING THE LONG GAME FOR FLUKE - Long Island Summer Flounder. Every year and more or less with never none I like to use Berkley Gulp. It really is a great early season fluke bait. And GULP! is exactly that, bait. Gulp is superior in the sense that you can sweep a large area of water in fast moving current. Gulp will never fly off. Your Gulp bait when Carolina rigged will pass patches of summer flounder as you sweep across hundreds of yards. If you catch a fluke cast back out to the same area nine of ten times you will pull another fish out. Keep in mind in slower current and ocean front fishing a 3 way rig OR double Gulp rig is sometimes more efficient. Berkley Gulp may not be the best bait for big fluke but it certainly is one of the best baits for early season and scouting situations. Great when your feeling out the water. Look around at other happenings to and be sure to bring some jigs with you as well. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
19 Jul 2021 11:57 #5398 by JerryRuff

Fished a little at night hoping for whites but some yellow catys. Nice to see them been some decades!

Attachments:

• JerryRuff
More
24 Jul 2021 11:06 #5399 by JerryRuff

Ocean Surf fishing - OLD FROZEN HERRING CHUNK BAIT - Looking For Big Ocean Fish. I had a few hours. I had a old block of salted frozen herring. And I had to see what I could do with both today. BUGS. All kinds, biting and stinging. That's OK I'm used to it. In more then one sense. No clue how the ocean was going to due me up but had some idea. Did see some Spanish Mackerel jumping and I had a few jigs but the plan was to stick to the salted herring bait and that I did. Some walking between spots and landed on some fish. Looking for a big one and that I did. All with the old salted frozen herring as planned. The sea and her creatures can be quite dangerous so always put yourself first even if mother nature or anyone else puts you third. Teeth, stingers, waves and even bugs can give you a wallop. Always be on your toes and have eyes behind your head. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
30 Jul 2021 21:00 #5401 by JerryRuff

BIG MASSIVE TROPHY WHITE PERCH with FAST SOLID DROP DOWN WORM FISHING - STRAIGHT THROUGH!
Spent some time looking for good fishing and found it. Caught and kept a bunch of white perch through the day. Set up on and settled with some drop down fishing and had more and more white perch until I don't keep no more. Took out my new old fishing rod and gave that a whirl and in the end pulled out a huge monster of a giant white perch clean on the worm. He was ripping drag to get back down to the deep several times. Lucky to swing the massively proportioned perch. The white perch made my 4 pound mono feel like it was going to snap! I could not get my hands around the beast. GIRTH. Must have been over a 12 inch girth! Just a plain beauty. After contemplating on keeping it I decided to let the big old white perch go.

How big was that perch? My best guess it was in the 2-3 pound range. EASY. Felt like my 4 pound mono was going to snap when I pulled the white perch up. Lucky the line was new. It could have been over 3 pounds. It really had some serious girth. I think the NYS record white perch may be just over 3 pounds. I know of some bigger caught off the books. Any case its up there. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
05 Aug 2021 14:14 #5403 by JerryRuff

BLACK YELLOW BROWN WHITE CATFISH - The CAT FISH of CROTON WATERSHED - Fishing the NYC Water Supply. Brown, White, Black or Yellow I love the catfish. Don't matter I love them all. Big ones, small ones. Catch, release or fish for keeps. Worms, chunks or chicken in my older days. Deep or shallow, River or lake. You can catch catfish day or night. Key is keep the bait on the bottom. The Croton Watershed or New York City Water Supply System has an ample supply of all these catfishes. It don't matter what reservoir you decide to fish in. The cat fish are there.

ID GUIDE
Black Bullhead: 00:25 - Slight Double Lobed Tail, All Black Barbels
Yellow Bullhead: 02:00 - Rounded Tail, White Barbels
White Catfish: 03:30 - Forked Tail, White & Black Barbels
Brown Bullhead: 06:20 - Blunt Flat Lobed Tail, White & Dark Barbels

I love to start the day on new water. Move to familiar water. Always finish with the catfish. The worm is always a good ticket but will be fishing with chunks more. Again Yellow, Brown, White or Black I love all the catfish they are all equal in my book. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
11 Aug 2021 10:19 #5404 by JerryRuff

Salty Summer Outtakes - BIG BUNKER BAIT FISHING - Loud Chomps, Big Bite Offs & Fast Runs!!! Summer beach fishing with big bait is exciting. You can expect big sting rays, skates, sea robins, bluefish, fluke and the occasional daytime bass. There is always the chance of cobia and drum as well. Expect some bite offs as well as many sharks frequent the summer beach in big numbers.

There are lots of ways to rig and my favorite as lately is always with a fish finder. A upper and lower leader is a must. Creatures such as sting rays which can reach 100+ pounds you need something you can grab onto. 60 - 80 Pound monofilament line should do it well for your grab leader. This is where I attach my finder. A bead is optional. I then drop on a 80 pound barrel swivel and to that about 1 foot of 80 - 100 pound monofilament leader where I snell a 12/0 Mustad 39960 circle hook. The 12/0 Mustad 3990 is smaller then you would think about 8/0. Be sure to gap them when in use with bunker bait. Drop on your weight to your finder and hold on! Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: JerryRuffTimmah
Time to create page: 0.572 seconds