Latest Action by Jones Beach

***YOU MUST NOW  CREATE A USERNAME TO LOG IN TO VIEW REPORTS***

FISHJONESBEACH --  A PLACE FOR ALL TO EXPERIENCE, LEARN AND SHARE -- FISH YOUR WAY!

× Welcome to the Fish Jones Beach forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Topic-icon A RUFF BLOG 2022

• JerryRuff
  • JerryRuff's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 Feb 2022 12:04 - 12 Feb 2022 12:05 #5490 by JerryRuff

Long Island Wintertime "PRE" STOCKING TROUT & BASS Ultra Light Spin Fishing with Jig & Float. A few days, a few hours, a few trout, and a few bass. A nice break in the weather made for a few good outings ultra light spin fishing with some jig and float in Long Island NY. The first day I went super light fishing a #10 black/olive hair jig with a palsa float. I let the wind and/or current take me where I had to go. Rainy. But man, it was nice out considering the weather the day before. Hit a largemouth bass and finished on the sunset with a rainbow trout. The next day I upped the jig to a 2" old fashion yellow Mr. Twister curly tail grub on a 1/16oz jig head using one of my home made floats. I like these floats. they are easy to adjust. No cutting. No retying. No nonsense. I talk about them in the video and some of the things you can do with the float. The link is below. I also made a video how you can make them yourself. This day was all sunshine. Had a beauty of a trout in the moving water and plucked a bass next to the falls. Winter time fishing is often about that good weather window and looking for those few fish. When the weather is accommodating I tell you the time melts away faster then the snow. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

HOW TO MAKE HOME MADE FLOATS -

00:46 DAY 2 - Mr. Twister Curly Tail with 1/16oz Jighead
07:51 FLOAT TALK
09:35 DAY 1 - Hair Jig & Palsa Float

*** The below links are paid Amazon Affiliate Links ***
THE 2" MR. TWISTER GRUB - amzn.to/3GLuIFF
*** I get a small commission if you purchase anything from the affiliate link above. ***

Fish!!! - Best advice I ever got.
Last Edit: 12 Feb 2022 12:05 by JerryRuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JerryRuff
More
19 Feb 2022 11:50 - 19 Feb 2022 11:52 #5491 by JerryRuff

Winter Fly Fishing Long Island - TROUT BASS PERCH - Woolly Buggers & Micro Marabou Jigs. Wintertime. I think I started at least a dozen videos with the prior sentence. The bass, trout and perch seem to slow down. Seem. But most certainly cold and "warm" winter days come to life with a chance to catch any and all the major freshwater gamefish that frequent long Island. I like to keep the lures small and tight. I don't plan on many changes. Fly fishing always accommodates perfect. I can keep one hand in my pocket and the other casting.

I worked between a #6 olive tailed backed body kelly green legged wolly bugger, a olive over black 1/64 ounce marabou jig, and a #12 bead headed yellow marabou jig. All accompanied with a home made fly fishing float. There were lots of stunted bass from the small lock and a holdover trout surprise with several perch mixed in. One day was bone cold and shady. The next day bright and sunny with similar results. You must check out this very cool moment when a big old fish surfaces right while I was talking. I put the time stamp below. Winter. Find a groove, go with it, have fun and go big in spring. Winter fishing. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

07:50 FISH SURFACES

Last Edit: 19 Feb 2022 11:52 by JerryRuff.

• JerryRuff
More
24 Feb 2022 12:17 #5492 by JerryRuff

Fish Year Round - New WINTER TROUT FISHING REGULATIONS in NEW YORK STATE & New NY Season Regs. The February weather was more like May today. Trout fishing in February. I could have never imagined. A cause for celebration. And how do we celebrate? We go fishing! The fishing was meh and the day I am not going to talk about but trout fishing in February wading in the moving water was a new experience. I was skeptical to trout fish this first time in winter in New York as deregulation rarely occurs and I wanted to share something I could not believe myself. The pretty trout signs made it clear and a took a nice walk fishing a little as my feet carried me down across and back the swift stream. I truly could not believe this was winter.

Do keep in mind the regulations in season can be confusing. So check your local creek, stream, river, lake or pond for the entire set of regs. Below are the major regulations. Trout fishing regulations and creel limits in NYS will vary pending where your fish in season. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

WINTER TROUT REGULATIONS
OCTOBER 16 to MARCH 31 - CATCH AND RELEASE ONLY - ARTIFICIAL LURES ONLY

BASIC IN SEASON REGULATIONS APRIL 1 to OCTOBER 15 (PLEASE, CHECK YOUR LOCAL REGS THEY MAY VARY PENDING WATER))
Wild or Stocked - Daily creel limit of five trout per day with no more than two longer than 12 inches in NY
Wild-Quality or Stocked-Extended - Daily creel limit of three trout per day with no more than one longer than 12 inches
Wild-Premier - Daily creel limit of one trout per day, any size

• JerryRuff
More
12 Mar 2022 12:57 #5493 by JerryRuff

Long Island Winter Pickerel Fishing with The Rapala Countdown Minnow. Winter. Most days you have to work for the fishing. Some days are honey but most winter days you need to cover a lot of water before you cross paths with active fish. Pickerel will be active and will to strike from far in the winter. The Rapala Countdown Minnow may be the perfect lure to search for those active fish. You can cover the water top to bottom. You can cover a ton of area. Pickerel in particular this time of year will lunge from a long ways to grab a wounded minnow they know they have.

THE RAPALA COUNTDOWN MINNOW GOLD 1/4OZ CD07 - amzn.to/3KBVD91
*** I get a small commission if you purchase anything from the affiliate link above. ***

• JerryRuff
More
16 Mar 2022 11:10 #5494 by JerryRuff

Marabou Jig & Float for CRAPPIE / PERCH / BLUEGILL - Long Island Winter Fishing. A little lighter tackle and the day would have been perfect. Used the light spinning set up with a float & toothpick with a 1/64th ounce marabou jig for a bunch of bluegills, perch, and crappie. I used a regular bobber today over my foam float with the small marabou jigs. Just what I had in my pack. Chartreuse over white seemed to do it. I wanted to try a black over olive but save that for the next trip. I keep my jigs a tad long so I miss a bunch of the smaller panfish. That's OK because usually the bigger panfish follow up. If your looking to catch each and every one go shorter on your tail end of the jig.

Marabou Jig & Float for CRAPPIE / PERCH / BLUEGILL - Long Island Winter Fishing. A little lighter tackle and the day would have been perfect. Used the light spinning set up with a float & toothpick with a 1/64th ounce marabou jig for a bunch of bluegills, perch, and crappie. I used a regular bobber today over my foam float with the small marabou jigs. Just what I had in my pack. Chartreuse over white seemed to do it. I wanted to try a black over olive but save that for the next trip. I keep my jigs a tad long so I miss a bunch of the smaller panfish. That's OK because usually the bigger panfish follow up. If your looking to catch each and every one go shorter on your tail end of the jig.

1/64OZ JIG HEADS - amzn.to/3q2ioLG
MARABOU - amzn.to/3IdXzTJ
*** I get a small commission if you purchase anything from the affiliate link above ***

• JerryRuff
More
23 Mar 2022 00:38 #5495 by JerryRuff

Fishing the Slip Bobber Float with Red Wigglers for Long Island Largemouth Bass. Spring. I just looked up and realized its spring. Fishing on the mind. Had a chore filled day but by the grace of God I managed time to drop some bait under a slip float for the sunset. Something I been meaning to do in this spat of water for some time. I worked a nice clump of red wiggler worms well under my float and a foot or two off the bottom. No clue what fish will take if any today. My list (in order) was perch, carp, catfish, crappie, largemouth bass with wish full thinking for a trout. Some time past with a good amount of jigging and walking the tantalizing ball of bait just off the bottom. Finally the take. The take felt like spring. Not a fast, running, darting, zinging, zigzagging take. But a take of spring. A steady pull followed by a hard dive and firm lunges. One hour, one chance, one fish. Spring.

• JerryRuff
More
24 Mar 2022 14:02 #5496 by JerryRuff

Striped Bass Fishing a NYC Spring Day - ICE BREAKING - New York City Striper on the Fly. I always wonder what New Yorkers think on the approach of spring? I really don't know. What i do know is that striped bass start to show up and get active. And so do we. Sometimes the striper fishing can be fast big and furious. That comes for sure. But before the bell goes off you have the chance to get out and fish a cold wet clammy spring day in the chance of hooking up with an early striper. I went with the fly tackle today. 20MPH gusts to work with. Had an a fair angle early in but decided to set up a better angle at another location to find success. That was the key. Keep the fly in a hot zone for a willing striped bass to find it. Its always a good outing when its your first and you have landed the fish you were looking for. That's the Your Way in the Fish and always looking forward to Fish Your Way.

• JerryRuff
More
26 Mar 2022 12:41 #5497 by JerryRuff

Night. Spring. Fishing. Early Spring STRIPED BASS NIGHT FLY FISHING for Stripers in the Bay. I start a good day wondering what I am going to fish for. How am I going to fish. Where I am going to fish. I usually never ask when cause the answer will always be, "when I can." So I answered these little questions and decided to look for some striped bass on the fly at night in the old salty bay. I gave myself some daylight to meander around. The first take was at dusk. Missed a striper on the deceiver fly. Followed up by a few other striped bass into the night. I am sure I had a few other hits as I felt the take of spring on the line hand. My feet got cold and my hands went numb. That's just early spring night fishing.

• JerryRuff
More
30 Mar 2022 11:10 #5498 by JerryRuff

How to Fish with a Sliding Float - DEADLY TACTICS - Freshwater Fishing with a Slip Bobber. There are so many ways to fish with a bobber. One method I have not used in some time is the slip bobber or sliding float. Little hardware is needed. A float, a bead or two, and some extra monofilament line. The advantage to the slip float is in your cast and your presentation. Your weight is all together at the end of your line. The stop knot catches your bead as you bait or lure sinks to your prescribed depth. At that point when you jig it is purely horizontal. A very deadly presentation that can be used with bait as well. I had fun fishing with slip bobber floats and I hope you give them a try.

00:30 Why Use a Slip Bobber?
01:47 The Concept
03:30 How to Set Up Your Sliding Float
05:35 EXTRA - How to Tandem Rig Flies with a Slip Float
07:00 Setting Your Depth
08:45 The Bobber Stop Knot

• JerryRuff
More
02 Apr 2022 12:27 #5499 by JerryRuff

Long Island Opening Day - HOT STOCKED TROUT - Spin Fishing for Stockers. It was a long day. Well heck! Its been a long month. But I managed some time to get on some hot Long Island fresh stocked trout. This day was no different then most the past month. Minus the fishing. I had the camera on the wrong setting so the video is a bit different. The fishing was great. The trout were on. Every trout I landed I missed a swipe or lost a trout on the jump. It was a hot few hours of good solid opening day of trout fishing with the ultra light spin fishing gear. I worked the rooster tail and grub down and upstream for a old fashion limit of trout!

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: JerryRuffTimmah
Time to create page: 0.372 seconds