Latest Action by Jones Beach

***YOU MUST NOW  CREATE A USERNAME TO LOG IN TO VIEW REPORTS***

FISHJONESBEACH --  A PLACE FOR ALL TO EXPERIENCE, LEARN AND SHARE -- FISH YOUR WAY!

× Welcome to the Fish Jones Beach forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Topic-icon A RUFF BLOG 2020

• JerryRuff
  • JerryRuff's Avatar Topic Author
More
25 Feb 2020 23:58 #5065 by JerryRuff
Fished it a solid 3 hours and some work but the fish were about. Missed 5 strikes, dropped one and landed one. The one I landed not sure you could even count as it slipped off by me side. Clean release I say. Fished 2 bodies of water too action in both. The southern Pond seem to have faster action and was warmer and weedier. Fished mostly chartreuse/whiye 1/2's and green/yellow clousers. No responce on the black today.

Fish!!! - Best advice I ever got.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JerryRuff
More
27 Feb 2020 11:14 #5066 by JerryRuff

The Vintage TRUE TEMPER #1255A CUSTOM BUILT TWELVE FIFTY Fiberglass Fly Fishing Rod. I had this old dog of a rod sitting around in the corner of my workspace for sometime before I decided to take him out for a walk. When I got the Vintage Fiberglass True Temper Custom Built Twelve Fifty #1255A to the water I could not believe how much I enjoyed using it. It is a fibreglass fly rod so I expected the feel of softness mixed with durability. I was not sure of the weight of the rod but line was not too much of an issue as 40 feet was going to be my longest target. I picked a 6 weight double taper 12 foot fast sink tip line to start. I must say I was going by guess (7 weight) but the 6 weight did match well.

The blank did not disappoint as my mind acclimated a few casts more then expected. My target was larger trout. I had the chance to hook and play a few beauties but they slipped to the deep before my feet. Joy and disappointment rolled up into one delectable chocolate bar. I found the True Temper Glass blank to handle the fish well. Had some nice soft give on the lunge which gave play on leader. And the fly rod still has plenty of backbone for pulling power. I enjoyed using this rod a bit so i took it to a lake and was pulling pickerels from tree limbs with it. Strength too.

After fishing with it a bit I played a old 7 weight line on it and it was perfect. Effortless 70 foot casts and easy 80 foot in heavy winds. Make a great 8 weight on the windy salt. I even found I could bang the True Temper Rod about and not have to worry. Minus the old finish coming off, however it will look new when the finish is gone. Original wraps are exquisite, metal ferrule, great stripper and fine tip on the old fiber glass rod. All original. Going to keep the old dog as such and well be going on more walks. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
29 Feb 2020 11:13 #5067 by JerryRuff
WADERS & FOOT WEAR - I have been asked often about what waders I like to use so here is a quick break down. Boot foot I prefer on sandy beaches and flat terrain. Stocking foot I prefer on rugged terrain and most freshwater fishing. I generally wear NEOPRENE for winter fishing and BREATHABLE waders spring and fall. Shorts for summer and jeans with wade boots on the book ends.

I also will use some sort of screw in stud or cleat listed below on my wade shoe. In winter I will use the weatherproof socks and a wool sock over that tucked in my pants. With neoprene I found I could be in the cold a good long while. Keep in mind if you are wearing neoprene and the weather goes above 50 you will get hot but you could always cool down in the water. With breathables you will feel fine out of the water but you WILL get cold fast in the water even on a warm 60 degree winter day.

Any brand wader should get the job done but the ones in the links below are the ones I currently use. I always recommend use what's best for you.

Frogg Toggs Aphib NEOPRENE Waders Cold Weather Boot Foot - amzn.to/2wO5mbF
Frogg Toggs Aphib NEOPRENE Waders Cold Weather Stocking Foot - amzn.to/2IaAoNf
Frogg Togg Hellbender BREATHABLE Waders Boot Foot - amzn.to/2VzDIJR
Frogg Togg Hellbender BREATHABLE Waders Stocking Foot - amzn.to/388ta7d
Wool Socks - amzn.to/32ybKzN
Weatherproof socks - amzn.to/2voZ2Hl

• JerryRuff
More
07 Mar 2020 12:25 #5068 by JerryRuff

DEADLY FLOAT TACTICS for CRAPPIE - Homemade FOAM FLY FISHING FLOATS for CRAPPIES. Some will say floats and fly fishing is cheating. I cant say I will agree but I will say using a homemade foam fly fishing float for crappie is a deadly tactic. The crappies just loved the presentation of my Clouser minnow suspending below the foam float. I will NOT say, "the tactic is cheating." I WILL say, "the technique sure feels like cheating!" It is DEADLY.

The deadly foam float fly fishing rig is simple and can easily be imparted on spinning gear as well for crappie. A small foam float strung through a tapered leader (4 feet 30lb to 3 feet 15lb to 2 feet 10lb or 8lb) and fished between 2 to 4 feet with a big eye Clouser minnow. The float can easily be adjusted to the depth you wish to fish. Try different lengths until you start hitting fish. I found plenty of action about 3 feet +/- 6 inches. The retrieves are simple. I go from a twitch, slow long deep, fast high ridding with a fast drop with lots of pauses between. Find what retrieve the crappies like at the moment but keep it changing. It is a deadly technique for crappies and other gamefish.

The hook sets are forgiving for crappie if your hooks are sharp. The float will set most the time on its own. Other times a short lift of your rod tip and quick tug on your line and crappie on. If you miss all is good as you often will get a quick follow up. I made these floats using a 8x12 inch sheet of 6mm thick foam. I know I say 2mm through the video but these are 6mm foam fly fishing floats used here. I will do a video on the process soon. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
14 Mar 2020 13:14 #5069 by JerryRuff

How to Make Foam FLY FISHING FLOATS / STRIKE INDICATORS - Fast, Easy & Customized. The foam fly fishing floats in this video is fast and easy to make AND use. In the field the fly fishing floats are effective, customizable and time saving. You can also use the foam bobber as strike indicators. I found many fly fishing float designs to be great but lacking in one aspect or another. I wanted a fly fishing float or strike indicator I could slide up and down the line quickly and easily. I wanted a fishing float / strike indicator I could take on or off quickly if I was not already using a float. I wanted a fly fishing float that held tight where i wanted it all day if need be. Looking at my fly cards the thought came all too quick and simple. LIGHTNING. A small rectangle and a few holes in 5mm foam make a superior fly fishing float at the cost of 1/10 of a cent. A lifetime supply for a $1.29 investment. Simply GOLD in all aspects! And yes... They cast great! I hope you give these fly fishing floats a try! Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
17 Mar 2020 11:04 #5070 by JerryRuff

Late Winter Season PICKEREL FISHING in LONG ISLAND NY - Always LEGENDARY & OUTRAGEOUS. The legendary late season winter pickerel fishing season in Long Island New York can be plain outrageous. It is some of the best pickerel fishing in the Country. This season the fishing was spot on. From small ponds to large lakes Long Island NY is plum belly filled with naturally spawning aggressive pickerel. The pickerel fishing in Long Island offers fast fishing packed with large trophy specimens. I hit a large area of water before the season ended and was rewarded with limits of pickerel on all my outings. Here are just a few of my favorite moments. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
24 Mar 2020 12:02 #5077 by JerryRuff

Bottom Bouncing Jigging - TWISTER TAIL GRUBBING - Grub & Jig Fishing for BIG TROPHY Yellow Perch. Deep bottom bouncing twister tail grubs is a great way to fish early spring or late winter for big yellow perch. When the perch are in all kinds of gamefish such as largemouth bass and pickerel will be willing to grab your twister tail grub while jigging. It is really exciting jig fishing because you never know what will come up. I was expecting to get off by pickerel and lost more then I will count but we brought a few to the camera. Light line is ESSENTIAL for deep bottom twister grub fishing. Expect to lose toothy fish when looking for jumbo yellow perch as they tend to feed on them. There were plenty of bass and the huge big trophy yellow perch were jumping on the jig as we planned.

For big giant trophy yellow perch I like to use a traditional 3" Mister Twister - twister tail grub with a 1/16oz jighead. The bigger jig weeds out the smaller perch. I will use 1/8 ounce if fishing in current. I will start with white or yellow and go to pumpkinseed or black. Color is important but more important is how your jig drops and the slow bounce and crawl back. You don't really want to feel the bottom but you must know your on the bottom. That's when the fishing starts. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
28 Mar 2020 12:06 #5081 by JerryRuff

Freshwater Fly Fishing - BASS CRAPPIE PERCH PICKEREL - The Simple Things. It was a cold day but the fishing was hot with some mixed bag freshwater fly fishing. The pickerel were ravenous, the bass a few, the crappie move out, as the the perch move in. WINTER. The fish all took the Clouser minus the one rebellious largemouth bass who took the big half and half. Warmwater fly fishing on a cold winter day is just simple fun. If you never tried this before you must give it a go. I say anything in life can be as simple or as complicated as you make it. I prefer the simple side of things. It works! Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
04 Apr 2020 13:58 #5088 by JerryRuff

Worm Fishing for BIG LONG ISLAND LUNKERS - Worming for LUNKER LARGEMOUTH BASS. The freshwater fishing been so fantastic this year I took 3 days looking for Long Island Lunker Bass. What made the fishing even more fun was fighting through some big pesky pickerel to get to the largemouth bass. For 3 days I relied on the worm. One day I finessed it, one day Texas style, and one day both. The yield was 3 Long Island lunkers and a bunch of smaller large mouth bass with countless pickerel in between.

The largest black bass of the lot actually took a 3" grub. WINDY. Followed by a dead calm. Something inside the gut told me go to the grub. I did not argue. First cast. Skip, jump, hop over some timber and lunker bass on! Off plan but it worked. If you know me I hate plans. Plans never work. However deviate from the plan and you have gold. I did pick a few other lunker's and a slew of fish on the worm and I feel more then happily satisfied with those results as well.

• JerryRuff
More
07 Apr 2020 00:39 - 07 Apr 2020 00:53 #5094 by JerryRuff

Lots of small's wallowing in the shallow's

Crappie on a #13 Rapala

Attachments:
Last Edit: 07 Apr 2020 00:53 by JerryRuff.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: JerryRuffTimmah
Time to create page: 0.742 seconds