Latest Action by Jones Beach

***YOU MUST NOW  CREATE A USERNAME TO LOG IN TO VIEW REPORTS***

FISHJONESBEACH --  A PLACE FOR ALL TO EXPERIENCE, LEARN AND SHARE -- FISH YOUR WAY!

× Welcome to the Fish Jones Beach forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Topic-icon A RUFF BLOG 2020

• JerryRuff
  • JerryRuff's Avatar Topic Author
More
04 Jan 2020 14:43 #5055 by JerryRuff

Change of scenery today. Some trout fishing. Beautiful warm balmy winter day. Nice walk about the stream. Water temps very low.

Fish!!! - Best advice I ever got.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JerryRuff
More
07 Jan 2020 12:03 #5056 by JerryRuff

PAN FRIED Oven Baked - HERRING RECIPE - Easy Quick Simple & Tasty - FISH FRY. How do you cook your herring? I could create a separate cooking channel on herring cookery. One herring recipe to share and ideal for the busy angler is oven baked pan fried herring. A fish fry that is quick, easy, and tasty. Nothing to clean up and you could prepare after a hard day on the water. Clean your herring at the dock, rinse, prepare and cook at home. And again, no clean up! Now lets talk about how to make oven baked pan fried herring.

Ingredients:
8-12 Herring
1 Egg
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Canola or your favorite cooking oil
Cajun Spices to taste or your favorite spice mix in proportion to flour
Dash Salt - Optional

Utensils:
Ziploc Bag
2 Aluminum Baking Pans. You can use one big one just make sure there is space between the herring.
Bowl for Egg - You could beat the egg in the Ziploc!
Bowl for Flour & Spice
Large Metal Spool
Spatula

Preparation:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Thoroughly clean and dry herring.
3. Prepare your flour and spice mixture to taste. I like several tablespoons of any Cajun spice such as Old Bay to 1 cup of flour. Mix until color is even.
4. Crack and beat one egg.
5. Pour beaten egg in Ziploc, add herring and seal top. Mix until you are sure all herring are coated inside and out.
6. Open Ziploc and pour your flour and spice mixture in. Seal. Shake and sift until even herring is evenly coated.
7. Pour oil on the bottom of your pans evenly with enough that the herring is just sitting on a layer of oil
8. Drizzle a small amount of oil on top of each herring
9. Place your pan in over for about 30 minutes
10. After 30 minutes safely take pan out and ladle oil over your herring
11. After 15 more minutes repeat the above
12. I like to cook another 15 minutes and check on the herring and do another ladling the get really crispy at this point. You can repeat as often as needed until herring are a golden crispy firm bubbly texture.
13. In all I oven bake pan fry the herring for about 60-80 minutes and I give more time then take. YOU CANT LADLE TOO MUCH between this time!!!
14. You will know your herring are done because they develop a firm, crispy, golden texture. If you are not sure let the herring cook longer but keep an eye on them you DO NOT want them a dark brown but more of a golden brown.
15. Remove the pans of herring from oven and let cure to room temperature.
16. READY TO EAT!

I go by feel and mood that's just how I cook, just as I fish. The big points of this recipe are your mixture of spices that you enjoy and getting the herring cooked to a perfect golden brown confection. I like them best served room temperature and even cold and they make great herring hero's too. You can eat the bones and all when cooked proper. Oven baked pan fried herring is simple, quick and delicious, I hope you enjoy and save some time! Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
15 Jan 2020 11:25 #5057 by JerryRuff

Winter Time - STREAMER TROUT FISHING - A Pocket Full of Clousers. I have been jotting out a few hours here and a few hours there doing some streamer trout fishing. The trout been mostly lock jawed but had a nice brown take a big'ole #6 yellow over white big eyed clouser minnow. I was fishing the clouser exclusive that day. Spoke some word with some folks and most have found the same with a few more or less on the nymphs pending the level. Weather been great for this time of year but always gets cold at dusk and water temps feel colder then last. I wish I could do more of this in prime time spring but the salt always calls back me in like cowbells in the distance. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
17 Jan 2020 16:04 #5058 by JerryRuff

• JerryRuff
More
30 Jan 2020 11:33 #5059 by JerryRuff

New York Winter STRIPER Fishing - JANUARY STRIPED BASS - Temps DROP & Winds HOWL. Striped bass can hole up deep in the winter. However on warm sunny forty degree days here in New York the stripers can come into the shallows to feed and you have a shot at the bass. A slight to strong on shore wind with a sunny sky can warm up the surface water temperatures on a cold winter day. That can in effect cause cold blooded creatures of the sea to activate and relate to the warm layer formed on the crusty fluid top shallows. Things just seemed to line up perfect in the few hours I was fishing. But it was amazing how fast conditions got to the detrimental winter extreme in a few hours. Just glad I hit the honey zone in the short time I had! Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
08 Feb 2020 15:47 #5060 by JerryRuff
Soon after into the deep he went...

Attachments:

• JerryRuff
More
10 Feb 2020 13:24 #5061 by JerryRuff

HOW to WHIP FINISH a Fly - STANDARD WHIP FINISHER TOOL - Tying Tutorial & Finishing Instructions EASY! I got my first whip finish tool many years ago from a fly tying kit I bought from a Cabela's mail order catalog. The standard whip finish tool looked cool. However, I had difficulty using it and learned to whip finish the easy way - by hand. Decades later I picked up the whip finish tool again and it came like magic. Between shore side conversations (see below) and YouTube messages I found many had the same experience whip finishing a fly. I am happy to share with you a few simple concepts on whip finishing a fly from start to finish. I have two hopes for this video. One is you get it out the gate. The second, you have a eureka moment after time and practice and your whip finish all comes together. I am not sure how my "simple" concepts are to follow but I hope some helps. Please feel free to comment and any questions about your whip finish I would be more then happy to oblige.

The video was made to watch in its entirety if you are new to whip finishing a fly. If you are like me and you came back to the whip finish tool I would suggest to first watch the whole video. Find where you feel you are going wrong watch those segments and try again. I made a detailed list below of all the basic concepts and where you may be going awry when you whip finish with a tool. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

Basic Concepts
Material or Thread Base & Half Hitch 2:00 10:40 13:20
***The hitch and base are not needed to start but will help sure your whip and your whip finish will tie easier to help get the basics listed below down***
#4 to Triangle 3:20 4:10 5:20
Rotation 5:50 6:40
Hook Direction 8:00 14:20

What You May Be Doing Wrong 12:15
Whip Finish is not forming and slips - Eye of the Hook 9:40 15:15
Whip Finish Blows in the Middle - Falling Out of Hooks 14:20 or Tension 10:10 12:50
Base of Whip Finish slides - Base & Half Hitch 10:40 13:20

QUICK REVIEW 11:20

As I wade back to shore in my clumsily ginger fashion I come across a familiar face.
Its the familiar face of angling through centuries we all identify with.
The Pleasant Stream Side Angler.
We have a brief yet familiar conversation.

Pleasant Stream-Side Angler: "Hey Jerry, Do you ever use that whip finish tool when you tie a fly?"
Jerry: "No! I whipped it across the room though!"

Pleasant Stream-Side Angler: "Anything?"
Jerry: "Nope, but I seen a big one come clean up and give chase!"

Pleasant Stream-Side Angler: "Yea, They're in there."
Jerry: "Catch you later"

Pleasant Stream-Side Angler: "Best of Luck!"
Jerry: "Thanks! Will need it for the next one!"

The Pleasant Stream-Side Angler walks away slowly yet solid fading into a tan brown thicket brush backdrop.

• JerryRuff
More
13 Feb 2020 02:14 #5062 by JerryRuff
Did a a few hours fishing with the FW clousers looking for warm and coldwater species. Tie the FW flies a tad different then the SW ones. Just what we do. Took out a old reel in style I never used and loved it. May be my new streamer reel. Anyhows, nothing on the cold moving water but the warm water was alive. Balanced out well. Been getting out late and days are short. Can not wait for clocks to go back and a longer day.

FW colors I do prefer are greens, yellows, orange, purple and the number one color in the world black and white at a tie.

Attachments:

• JerryRuff
More
15 Feb 2020 11:04 #5063 by JerryRuff

The Vintage MARTIN AUTOMATIC 8A Fly Fishing Reel - SELF WINDING & SPRING LOADED. The automatic spring loaded fly fishing reel. We all know about automatic fly fishing reels and see them in aesthetically pure pictures of a world gone by. The automatic fly reel has a purest corner on a small shelf. They are a hallowed ghost of fishing's past. I never seen one in the field, nor have I used one until today. I fell in love immediately.

I took the Vintage Martin Automatic 8A for a windup and spin. The Martin Automatic spring loaded reel was all in my taste and style. I got the hang of using it quickly. Click out a good run of working line with a fingernail lift to the tension release lever and I was fishing. Pickerel, with some work and clouser minnows were willing to oblige. Had two significant moments I was blessed with. One, I had a strike when I was zipping up the line on the automatic retrieve! It was by chance as I was getting ready to move. The second, had one run on the spring loaded tension as I dropped my glasses! All the hap and mishap that go with fishing on the Martin's first outing with me.

Its a neat tight reel. I love the nuts and bolts and quick line pickup for hit and miss, back and forth, run and gun fishing. The line zips in fast so you can make about another spot quickly. I like the design of the Martin 8A Automatic Fly Fishing Reel over other spring loaded automatics as it was in line with rod and a narrow balanced profile that became quickly familiar with mind and body.

I must talk about a few cons before we go. Although easy to take apart and clean it is not a practical job in the field. This would effect salt water use and quick spool changes. Another potential issue to mind - when you go home. The spring creates a tremendous tension. Which is good. However, if you zip up the reel a open tag end (no fly) it will create somewhat of a backlash making it difficult to get the tag end out. This is easily remedied by paying attention. I would certainly use the reel in saltwater. I have already prepped mine with marine grease. They are easy to take apart and clean. As per the spool, it would be easier to get a spare reel with line and switch out reels. You could probably buy 25 automatic reels for the price of some of the modern rumination era reels anyhow. Quick summary - I love it! The Martin Automatic will be a staple reel from this day on! Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it and remember always - Fish Your Way!

• JerryRuff
More
19 Feb 2020 22:12 #5064 by JerryRuff

Flung some lighter colors but no takers. Went too black/purple and fish started to respond. Always find days like this interesting. Perhaps distance is the answer. Different colors penetrate light longer distances in varying turbidities. In short, you can effectively fish more water simply by changing the color of your lure. In simple, some colors can be seen by fish further away - pending always changing water conditions.

Attachments:

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: JerryRuffTimmah
Time to create page: 1.140 seconds