Latest Action by Jones Beach

***YOU MUST NOW  CREATE A USERNAME TO LOG IN TO VIEW REPORTS***

FISHJONESBEACH --  A PLACE FOR ALL TO EXPERIENCE, LEARN AND SHARE -- FISH YOUR WAY!

× Welcome to the Fish Jones Beach forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Topic-icon A RUFF BLOG - 2019

• JerryRuff
  • JerryRuff's Avatar Topic Author
More
18 Feb 2019 10:46 #4482 by JerryRuff
Arguable one of the best 4-0 reels ever made, even today

Fish!!! - Best advice I ever got.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JerryRuff
More
20 Feb 2019 16:22 #4483 by JerryRuff

The SWEET PERILS of Winter Fishing - STICKING with the Muddler Minnow for a SWEET REWARD. Winter fishing can be full of peril sometimes with little reward. But the little reward is magnified 1000 fold every time the fishingverse opens up to you. Frozen hands, frozen nets, icy guides, cold feet and slow knots can all be expected and more. Normally I like to move but a beautiful trout followed my muddler minnow out between 2 submerged rocks on a bend in the stream so I decided i was going to stick it out exactly how and where i was for a few hours. Slowly my hands began to slow as the cold crept up from my feet. A steady slow wade back and forth help me warm a touch but I stuck it out until another trout followed. Through the peril I finally reaped my reward - a brown trout of fair size. However in the midst of winters perils a fair reward is just fair majestic and fair majestic is majestic.

Fished a bit different as I normally would today. My mind was set on muddler minnows deep and slow. I got em down with a 12 foot 4ips sinking tip line which set them up deep and natural behind 4 feet of 8lb leader. Perhaps I should have used 6 and the big trout would have taken? Perhaps a loop know rather then a simple Davy? It went through my mind but did not want to retie it was too much of a task in the cold if need not be. Any case I had a blast with the sinking line with the muddler minnow as it got the fly down quick and natural i like that and can not wait to use again with some other flies. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it.

• JerryRuff
More
27 Feb 2019 09:56 #4484 by JerryRuff
Ice or trout? These are the questions I ponder, days are getting later, maybe both?

• JerryRuff
More
27 Feb 2019 23:44 #4485 by JerryRuff

JerryRuff wrote: Ice or trout? These are the questions I ponder, days are getting later, maybe both?

Stream it was today, not much a'stirring though temps way down today had to deice the guides every 5-10 casts. Highlight was a whitetail watching me fish at one point saw me turn & move for the camera and ran off in a blast. Made me remember when I was little I would see how close I could get to a whitetail think about 10-15ft was my record.

• JerryRuff
More
02 Mar 2019 14:36 #4486 by JerryRuff

HOW TO TIE the SURF FISHING TEASER - The BEST Surf Fishing Lure You Will Ever Uses! The surf fishing teaser is simple, fast, effective, and will catch anything. I like to tie my surf fishing teasers exactly as in this video. They are a "in season" tie, meaning when I am working and fishing and working and fishing and have only 10 minutes to spare I need a set of surf fishing teasers in minutes and this process does the job. The Surf Fishing Teaser will catch any predatory fish such as striped bass, bluefish, fluke, flounder, weakfish, albies, bonito, jacks, rudderfish, pugfish, mackerel, herring, shad, sea robins, and about anything that has jaws around the world will eat them, I guarantee. In this tie there are only a few easy steps listed below and most can be omitted.

MATERIAL USED
White Bucktail 4"-5"
Color Bucktail 3"-6"
Polar Flash - 2 Strands I use 70 but 210 Denier Thread Will Work Fine or ANY Size You Have
Crazy Glue Red Chin - Bucktail, Marabou, Yarn - Anything Mustad 3407 2/O - (#1 up to 3/0)
Scissors

TYING STEPS
1. Bind thread
2. Cut & Tie Spare Clump Bucktail on Side of Hook Shank FACING AWAY FROM YOU Behind Eye & Spread on Side
3. Cut & Tie Another Clump (Same, Sparser or Thicker to Even Surf Teaser) on Side of Hook FACING YOU Shank Behind Eye & Spread on Side
4. Cut 2 Pieces of Polar Flash, Fold & Tie One Strand on Side of Hook Shank FACING AWAY FROM YOU Behind Eye, & Fold & Tie One Strand on Side of Hook FACING YOU Shank Behind Eye
5. Cut a Colored Clump of Bucktail (Can Be Longer or Shorter) & Tie Behind Eye on Top
6. Flip Hook & Tie in a Short Red Chin
7. Finish Wraps, Half Hitch, Bind with Crazy Glue 8. Repeat Above for a Few More & FISH YOUR WAY all day! You can make them all white, I am sure they will works wonders as such. So White bucktail, hook and thread - your good to go. The rest of the material and steps are optional!

As I side note I like to make my surf fishing teasers on the Ruff side. Uneven, off balance, beat up and ugly.

WHY Ruff? I believe in nature predators key in on off balance. A ragged looking surf teaser MAY look more vulnerable and entice that gamefish to strike rather then expend energy on a healthy pretty surf teaser. In addition I keep the tie quick only a few minutes each. In season I do not have much time to spare tying teasers and the results of fast are sometimes off balance but it all works even better in the end. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it.

• JerryRuff
More
04 Mar 2019 18:16 #4487 by JerryRuff

WHERES WALDO?

Attachments:

• JerryRuff
More
07 Mar 2019 13:27 - 07 Mar 2019 13:59 #4488 by JerryRuff

Saltwater Fly Casting Techniques & How To LIVE at New York City's WORLDS FAIR. The objective of this Saltwater fly casting video is to touch some basic thought and technique on getting your line out over 70 feet confidently. It is by no means a advanced saltwater fly fishing video, however we will brush on all the basic though on what goes into your fly cast in simple terms shot live at New York City's World Fair on a cold windy winter day. All small segments could be there own video lesson but we get all the thought in one grand saltwater fly casting lesson to hit those extra yards. In the video and I list below some of the basic and main items to think about when getting your fly to the fish while saltwater fly casting all while maintaining or grasping your own style.

Tapered Fly Leaders
Untwist, straighten & loading
Fly Line
Using your line hand
Using your rod hand
Motions
Line speed
Shooting line
Double hauling
Height
MORE!

This is all shot live at New York City's World Fair or Flushing Meadows Park. All narration was done while casting with a new old blank I was trying out with hardened cold line so you get it RUFF and uncut. Feet to 40 is my mantra but sometimes you need to get a few more yards and with the thoughts and techniques in this how to saltwater fly fishing video the goal is you can come out hitting 70-90 feet confidently and in your own style. I am sure your will! Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it.

Last Edit: 07 Mar 2019 13:59 by JerryRuff.

• JerryRuff
More
09 Mar 2019 00:59 #4489 by JerryRuff

Should have been a bell ringer of a day. Started working tandem flies a #6 muddler with a #14 wet coachman switching up the smaller fly here and there. Had a quick response first few cats then it lulled for about and hour. Was fishing em slow and driftaly.

Later on went to a single #6 creek minnow in the old olive over white with gold mylar body and tail. Time was ticking and finally went to fast yet lingering pulsatory retrieve in the cold water and the trouts went nuts over it. Must have missed 5 or 6 strikes and attempts and finally connected with two fish. One made it to the net and the other made a safe release right in front of me. Missed a few more strikes before I left as well. Working with the sink tip line today, 6lb leader. Exciting winter day as the trouts keep me entertained.

Should be warming soon may have to try some lakes & reservoirs once the ice cuts.

Attachments:

• JerryRuff
More
14 Mar 2019 13:32 #4492 by JerryRuff

The PENN BEACHMASTER No. 155 Conventional Fishing Reel - PORGY TIME - Bridge Fishing for Porgies. Lots of porgy action to be had the past year and I could not think of a better fishing reel then the Penn Beachmaster No. 155 to work with. In this video we will take a look at the Penn Beachmaster 155 in and out of the field. The Beachmaster No. 155 get a tear down so you get a good look inside. Outside we are fishing with PENN Beachmaster 155 reeling in the porgies smooth and steady.

The Penn Beachmaster reels are solid, durable, steady, and limited maintenance equipment - I like that. The PENN Beachmaster 155 can be used on surf, pier, boat and bridges - it is a all around reel but its primary home is on the sandy surf for surf fishing as it was rightfully named "The Beachmaster" by the famed Otto Henze. There is a lot of info in this video but we could only brush the surface but we cover some history, statistics, application, mechanics and care of the PENN Beachmaster No. 155 and if there is anything you would like to add please do as we could only cram so much about the Beach master in 20 minutes and still have fun fishing! Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it.

• JerryRuff
More
19 Mar 2019 11:55 #4498 by JerryRuff

FISHING LIVE ON THE CLOCK - Catching, Talking, Dropping, Snagging & Stucks - ONE HOUR TO FISH. Time, time, time. Had an hour to fish and I got it all on the clock. Condensed into about 15 minutes but the fishing was filmed through with some highlights live and on the clock. In this sense you can get an idea of a typical outing of some of the things that occur in between. Of course we catch some fish, but we also get stuck in trees, miss and drop fish and lots of talking. I had fun with this one so I hope You enjoy and if you like the format please let me know and I will do more of these in the future. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: JerryRuffTimmah
Time to create page: 0.658 seconds