Latest Action by Jones Beach

***YOU MUST NOW  CREATE A USERNAME TO LOG IN TO VIEW REPORTS***

FISHJONESBEACH --  A PLACE FOR ALL TO EXPERIENCE, LEARN AND SHARE -- FISH YOUR WAY!

× Welcome to the Fish Jones Beach forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Topic-icon A RUFF BLOG - 2019

• JerryRuff
  • JerryRuff's Avatar Topic Author
More
01 Jan 2019 01:24 #4446 by JerryRuff
Did the spin gear today. Fish off the bite but saw a few big mouths swipe at the count down but missed. Not much stirring on the water today.

Fish!!! - Best advice I ever got.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JerryRuff
More
01 Jan 2019 22:18 #4447 by JerryRuff
Did 2 sessions today. One with the countdown minnow, next with rooster tails. Fairly nice day with surprise, loss and gains. Bass on the roosters, crappie and pickerel. Crappie, carp and a huge pickerel - LOST him on the countdown.

Attachments:

• JerryRuff
More
02 Jan 2019 11:35 - 02 Jan 2019 11:52 #4448 by JerryRuff

NEW YEARS DAY Spin Fishing with the RAPALA COUNTDOWN MINNOW - A WORLD CLASS LURE. I went out looking for some quick and easy new years day fishing and was rewarded with an interesting day. The plan was to swim, twitch, drop, suspend and jerk the old Rapala Countdown Minnow. Not sure what was going to be lurking today but after a few casts I found some crappie. The crappie were fair in numbers and decent on size and of course missed a few. On the end of the excursion I hooked into and dropped what looked to be a 3 pound plus crappie and lost a tremendous pickerel as well as my Rapala in the trees. Thats just the chance you take fishing light tackle around the brush. Tied on the spare and ended the session with the Rapala Countdown Minnow by hooking cleanly into a beautiful carp who saved his all for after I landed him he busted off with my Rapala Countdown minnow. A thrilling day indeed and a cold yet calm New Years Day - could not ask for more from up above.

The Rapala Countdown Minnow is an amazing all around bait to fish anywhere, anytime for anything. I like to choose the size and color pending the conditions first and gamefish second. The #7 is a great fence rider size lure. The #7 Rapala Countdown Minnow also suspended great in these conditions. They really come alive with some rod tip and crank. You can make them dance just like a fly. It will take big panfish and big gamefish as well. I like knowing I will never know what I will catch using that size. If you are exclusively looking for trophy size up to a #9 or #11 Rapala countdown. I like to stick about things proven and produce. The Rapala Countdown is in all modesty a time tested world class lure that will catch anything. Give them a try if you have not already. We are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it.

Last Edit: 02 Jan 2019 11:52 by JerryRuff.

• JerryRuff
More
03 Jan 2019 00:05 #4449 by JerryRuff

Had a few hour to fish, wanted to throw bigger flies with the 8wt so thats what I did. Slow day the temp drop MAY have damped the bite? Started with a 2/0 white silver belly rabbit fly in the wade but no takers. Did later land one picky fair in size on a #1 chartreuse deceiver. Water felt cold when I dipped my hands it - I reckon it is January. Missed a baby pickerel on a #1 gold heavy for fw clouser. Let it get cold, as it must warm up some point in time.

Attachments:

• JerryRuff
More
05 Jan 2019 12:01 #4450 by JerryRuff

The STEEL ROD STINGRAY - Pier Fishing SOUTH BEND Style!!! - FISH YOUR WAY. Went to look to poke at some bass with the steel rod and the south bend reel and got a big surprise - a beautiful cownose ray. What a fight these great fish can give. I hooked up low and deep with the cow nose ray and the steel rod drove the hook right through the beasts flesh. The ray laid out fast in to current. the line was ripping and I had to slow him down. Laid out my thumb on the dry lined reel and the heat was too much to hold as I watch the reel backlash and blow out. I quickly thumbed the line tight on the reel spool and regained line to an even level on the arbour. Slowly gaining my 15 pound Stren the winged acrobatic beast was working in slowly till he painstakingly took his ground back from my vintage reel. I had to cut some footage and kept some but most of the battle is there double cranking, blow-out and all. Finally had the ray next to the pier and there was no way he was coming up. Phil gave me a bag that I wrapped my hand with. One or three pull the Stren quickly broke on the true weight and the beast faded in the cold deep.

The rays were all about this summer and I had a good run of avoiding them till this night. It is always fun to me to approach the water in different ways. Keeps the fishing fun, interesting and just like tonight exciting! We are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it.

• JerryRuff
More
08 Jan 2019 00:12 #4451 by JerryRuff
ICY out today, not much of a stir, cold but I was pretty warm - most the day.

Attachments:

• JerryRuff
More
08 Jan 2019 22:44 #4454 by JerryRuff
Slow, no sign of life fishing today. fished a few hour mostly walking around but managed to pull one little pickerdoodle right outta the trees

Attachments:

• JerryRuff
More
09 Jan 2019 11:11 #4456 by JerryRuff

SPIN FISHING the ROOSTER TAIL SPINNER - Bass / Crappie / Pickerel - WINTER FRESHWATER TAILFECTA. I always loved old fashion spinner, spin, spin fishing especially when tossing out the good old Rooster Tail spinner. I loaded up a few in my box and decided to exclusively fish the Rooster Tails today no matter the outcome. I was amply rewarded with largemouth bass, crappie and chain pickerel all on 1/16 and 1/8 ounce Roostertails. A winter freshwater trifecta or I like to say a tailfecta on a cold winter day!

I traditionally used the Roostertail in faster moving water for trout and smallmouths but they will take about any freshwater gamefish out there from all pikes, all panfish and all bass. The most important thing when fishing the Rooster Tail is your weight as with many and most lures. It may be irresistible to pull that big old 1/2 ounce spinner from your box in the hopes for the big one. It will catch fish, BUT more important is to pick a Rooster Tail spinner that will give suspension in the water. That suspension gives you time in the water and time for that crappie, pickerel or largemouth bass to find and inhale your Rooster Tail. You can try a straight retrieve for the pickerel, a erratic retrieve for largemouth bass, or you can do as I do a Jerry retrieve and keep things shaking and varying. I am trying to get across the message that the way your bait suspends is THEE most important aspect of your presentation. Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it.

• JerryRuff
More
12 Jan 2019 11:40 #4457 by JerryRuff

Summer Beach Fluke - FLOUNDER FLY FISHING & Too Many Flies, REAL FLIES - THE BITING KIND! I was not sure where the fluke fly fishing was going today. It was certainly not in my direction. The fishing was actually good. I bucketed one fluke, missed a few flounder and dropped a couple high sun summer striped bass. That's just how it goes I had my shots and that makes it all the while. Beautiful day out. Perfect surf, sun, wind and all kinds of creatures of the sea making themselves known. The flies cashed in on the day too and spent it on the sand. Not the worst fly day I have had but the flies made themselves know and all i could do was move and stay in the water. It worked and I had a great day despite the 100 little bites I offered the flies.

Bugs in general can be a nuisance and kill a good day on the water. To be a good angler you need to know ways to combat the elements. First, bug spray does not work on flies. The best way to combat flies if cover yourself but waders on a 90 degree day is just not working. light khakis and a long sleeve button down shirt of the quick drying variety also helps. If your not fully covered the best way to avoid flies is to stay in the breaking surf and keep moving. It will not hinder all the flies but will keep many away. Also wear light colors if you can. Lastly, biting flies go to bed at night. You can always come back about an hour before sunset, however the gnats and mosquitoes will take the second and third shift willingly but that's another story! Have fun out there and we are always happy to share our experiences with all those around the world and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it.

• JerryRuff
More
13 Jan 2019 14:07 - 13 Jan 2019 14:17 #4458 by JerryRuff
Comment: There aren't too many surf fisherman that use the fly rod from the surf with flies but you certainly have brought a new perspective by using fly rod and catching.

Reply: I think when most MOST people fish they fish for numbers and/or size. Someday my approach is the same other days it is more about how to go about doing things. Sometimes the approach may be productive and sometimes not so production, but that's fishing and fishing your way. It is best for new anglers to find something and master it and enjoy the water first and for more experienced anglers "Fish Your Way" as it can be a enjoyable way to get out and try all different things and get em 12 different ways to make the day!

Fly fishing been tagged wrongly. It is one of thee most effective ways to catch fish out there. It is not as difficult as one could imagine. It can be as complicated OR as simple as you make it and still be equally productive with a few simple principles. Yes, sometimes it may not be the best way to catch a million fish but the same goes for other methods and tools to catch fish. Thanks for the thought provoking comment!

Last Edit: 13 Jan 2019 14:17 by JerryRuff.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: JerryRuffTimmah
Time to create page: 1.059 seconds